Report: Blues 0 Millwall 0

The points are shared at St. Andrew's.


Blues and Millwall played out a goalless draw at St. Andrew's Trillion Trophy stadium this afternoon. 

In the first of their two home games this week, Blues picked up a point against the Lions, Marc Roberts coming the closest to grabbing the winner with a downward header that forced Bartosz Bialkowski into a diving save. 

Millwall rarely threatened during the game but managed to carve out an opportunity through Murray Wallace that required a fantastic save from Neil Etheridge. 

Aitor Karanka made three changes to the side that drew with Luton in midweek. Jake Clarke-Salter, Gary Gardner and Scott Hogan were replaced by Pedersen, Ivan Sanchez and Jonathan Leko. 

Settling into a 4-4-2 formation, Blues started the game positively. Leko did plenty of early running and gathered the ball down the right-hand but his cut back just evaded Ivan Sunjic. 

Millwall worked an early opening through Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, the striker’s cross to the back post almost found Troy Parrott, but he failed to connect with the ball. 

Neat build-up play between Leko and Maxime Colin saw the latter whip a cross into the box, searching for Lukas Jutkiewicz, but the forward glanced his header wide. 

Blues were seeing plenty of the ball in the first half but were struggling to find the final pass to breach a sturdy Millwall defence. 

Half-time: Blues 0 Millwall 0

Both sides remained unchanged at the start of the second period and Blues were called into defensive action immediately. Jed Wallace drilled a low corner into the near post, but Bodvarsson headed wide.

Soon after, Blues created a good chance of their own through Pedersen. Sanchez cut the ball onto his left foot and swung the ball in, Pedersen met it with his head but put it over. 

Blues were tasked with defending against towering striker Matt Smith midway through the second half, the Blues centre-backs dealt well with his threat out-matching him on a number of occasions. 

As we entered the closing stages of the game, Sanchez floated a corner in, Roberts climbed above his marker, only to see his header palmed away by Bialkowski.

Despite this, Blues had Etheridge to thank for keeping the scores level. Millwall kept a free-kick alive and Wallace attempted an overhead kick that the ‘keeper had to stretch to tip over. 

In the final moments, Jeremie Bela played in a corner to the front post that Mikel San José tried to direct towards goal, but it drifted over.

Blues: Etheridge, Colin, Roberts, Dean, Friend, Pedersen, Sunjic, San José, Sanchez, Leko, Jutkiewicz.

Subs: Prieto, Clarke-Salter, Dacres-Cogley, Kieftenbeld, Gardner, Bela, Toral, McGree, Hogan.

Bookings: Leko, Sunjic. 

Millwall: Bialkowski, M. Wallace, Hutchinson, Cooper, J. Wallace (Thompson 87’), Pearce, Leonard, Woods, Bodvarsson (Bradshaw 87’), Parrott (Smith 63’), Skalak.

Subs: Fielding, Malone, Brown, Ferguson, Williams, Thompson, Burey, Bradshaw. 

Bookings: J. Wallace,  

Referee: Andy Woolmer