Report: Huddersfield Town 1 Blues 1

The result means Blues have collected 35 points from their 34 matches played.


Blues drew 1-1 with Huddersfield Town in the Sky Bet Championship on Tuesday night.

The point came courtesy of Marc Roberts' 67th-minute leveller.

A third goal of the season for the defender cancelled out Fraizer Campbell's opener as the Terriers led for just four minutes in West Yorkshire.


Aitor Karanka made a trio of changes to the team that started Saturday’s win over Queens Park Rangers. Brought into the XI was Roberts, Lukas Jutkiewicz and matchwinner against The R’s Alen Halilović. There was a return to the matchday squad for Adam Clayton who spent two years with Huddersfield between 2012 and 2014.


The opening stages were interrupted by a stoppage when Richard Stearman required treatment after a head injury sustained in a competitive aerial dual with Harlee Dean. Blues’ skipper was booked following the 50-50 contest and left to play over 80 minutes with a caution.

This incident disrupted both proceedings and the rhythm of each side with onlookers having to wait until the half-hour mark for the game’s first notable effort on goal. It came for Blues following neat footwork from Halilović to feed Ivan Sanchez, but the Spaniard’s left-footed shot was blocked by Stearman.

Blues’ winger had an even better opening moments later, although the quality of his dribble into the penalty area was not matched by a wayward strike.

Town looked to threaten at the end usually housing away supporters, but their best opportunity, a free-kick taken by Isaac Mbenza, hit the vacant seats rather than the net.

Half-time: Huddersfield Town 0 Blues 0

It was again Blues setting the agenda after the break and Halilović forced Ryan Schofield into action when he tried to chip the Huddersfield ‘keeper.

Schofield had to be alert soon after when Kristian Pedersen’s surge forward created a shooting opportunity, but a deflection to the Dane’s effort made the save simpler than it may have been.

However, completely against the run of play, it was Huddersfield who took the lead in the 63rd minute. Naby Sarr’s centre was only half-cleared and Campbell rifled home the loose ball for the opener.

That lead only lasted four minutes as Karanka’s men showed character to level from the game’s next goalmouth action. Sanchez’ corner caused panic in the host’s defence and Roberts, who assisted the equaliser against QPR, went one better as he slammed in from close range.

This did not trigger the end-to-end finish perhaps expected from two teams finely separated in the table, but it was Blues who came closest to finding a winner when Scott Hogan’s outstretched boot could not quite make a clean connection to a Roberts throw-in during added time.


Having conceded when on top, Blues made sure to swiftly respond at the John Smith’s Stadium. And having been the provider last Saturday, Roberts proved handy in front of goal as he reacted quickest during a goalmouth scramble.


The result means Blues have collected 35 points from their 34 matches played.


Huddersfield Town (3-4-1-2): Ryan Schofield, Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Richard Stearman, Naby Sarr, Pipa, Alex Vallejo (Scott High 73), Juninho Bacuna, Lewis O’Brien, Duane Holmes, Isaac Mbenza (Aaron Rowe 62), Fraizer Campbell (Yaya Sanogo 84).

Substitutes not used: Joel Pereira, Richard Keogh, Demeaco Duhaney, Sorba Thomas, Romoney Crichlow, Kieran Phillips.

Booking: Stearman 26, Holmes 76.

Blues (4-1-4-1): Neil Etheridge, Maxime Colin, Marc Roberts, Harlee Dean (captain), Kristian Pedersen, Rekeem Harper, Ivan Sunjic, Ivan Sanchez (Yan Valery 91), Alen Halilović (Gary Gardner 84), Jeremie Bela, Lukas Jutkiewicz (Scott Hogan 84).

Substitutes not used: Andres Prieto, Jake Clarke-Salter, George Friend, Adam Clayton, Riley McGree, Jonathan Leko.

Booking: Dean 6.

Referee: Matthew Donohue.


Blues’ away days continue as they return to Yorkshire for a trip to Oakwell on Saturday afternoon. There is then a clear midweek before welcoming Nigel Pearson’s Bristol City a week on Saturday.